We are seeking submissions from a range of viewpoints and theoretical bases, using a variety of research methods and approaches, as well as articles that provide a practical perspective grounded in research. We hope that this symposium will offer a holistic and critical analysis of engagement – as well as related ideas such as motivation, commitment, immersion and flow – and an evaluation of its relevance and value in the sphere of educational game and simulation design, implementation and debriefing.
We encourage a variety of different types of articles related to engagement, simulation/gaming and learning, including topics such as:
- engagement theory from different disciplinary perspectives
- the relationship between engagement, games and learning
- factors influencing levels of engagement with games and simulations
- case studies evidencing engagement in games and simulations
- ways in which to evaluate and measure engagement
- engagement in reflection and debriefing with games and simulations
The full call for articles can be downloaded here (pdf).